Mixed climbing (rock and ice) and dry-tooling greatly expand the climber’s playground. Imagine moving from ice to rock with confidence and precision: the climbing possibilities are endless! This short, intense training course will introduce you to a discipline that is gaining in popularity.
Under the supervision of your instructor and with the safety of top rope, you will learn and put into practice the specialized techniques of mixed climbing and drytooling. Depending on the season and ice conditions, emphasis may be placed on one or other of these disciplines (drytooling only if there is no ice).
- Discover mixed/dry climbing and equipment
- Know and practice the movements specific to mixed/dry climbing
- Know the terminology specific to mixed/dry climbing
- Progress on icy, snowy and rocky terrain
- Supervised top-roping on a school wall
- Less than 30 metres high
- Difficulty between M1 and M5 ratings
- Click HERE to find out more about mixed climbing ratings
- A little effort and a lot of fun
Introduction to mixed/dry climbing includes :
- FQME and AGMA certified instructors
- Technical and educational material for the group
- 20 discount on the book Freedom of the Hills ($45 value – promo code Freedom).
Introduction to Ice Climbing does not include :
- Technical equipment for mixed/dry climbing(see list in equipment section)
- Bring your own equipment or rent from us!
- Entrance fees to the Montagne d’Argent site ($14 per person)
- Tip for your instructor
Number of participants per instructor
- Minimum 4 / Maximum 6
- Form a group of 6 and 1 person doesn’t pay
- Enter the following promotion code at the time of booking to take advantage of your free pass: groupede6
- If you are less than 4, book anyway and you will be matched with other participants.
- If you have a larger group, contact us to find out more about our group rates.
- 15 years and over
- Previous ice climbing experience
Schedule for the day :
The typical schedule is from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., but we sometimes have more than one departure a day. Click on ”reserve your place” to see availability.
- At your arrival time: reception at the LA LIBERTÉ NORD-SUD refuge (waiting time may vary depending on traffic).
- The cabin is 200 metres from the parking lot; bring all your belongings.
- Group gears up (boots, crampons, harnesses, helmets): 30-45 minutes
- Technical training and demonstration: 30 minutes
- Approach hike to the wall: 15 minutes
- Supervised climbing and advice from the instructor: approx. 3.5 hours
- End of climb and return to refuge: 15 minutes
- Equipment handover and departure: 15 minutes
Less than 20 minutes, up to 100m ascent and less than 500m walk to the various walls
- Available year-round!
Date changes, cancellations and refunds
P.S. You can also offer this product as a gift certificate.
- Personal equipment to bring
- Lunch and snacks
- 1 liter of water or hot beverage
- Synthetic clothing (which dries quickly) as a first layer
- Fleece jacket
- Windbreaker, soft shell or waterproof jacket
- Down jacket (with or without sleeves – recommended) – to keep you warm when we’re not moving.
- Backpack (30-40 litres)
- Tuque, scarf, mittens and gloves (2 pairs)
- Old snow or outdoor pants (there is a high risk of puncturing pants with crampons) – use tape if pants are loose around the calves.
- Gaiters (recommended to protect pants)
- A pair of warm socks
- Change of clothes for the way back
- Lip balm and sunscreen
- Sunglasses or ski glasses
- Snowshoes and walking poles for the approach if conditions are snowy
Personal OPTIONAL equipment to bring (in our opinion and for your safety, you should always have these items with you when venturing outdoors):
- Basic first aid kit
- Pocket knife
2.ice/mixed/dry climbing equipment to bring along
Note: The following list is recommended in order to achieve autonomy
If you don’t have all these items, we can rent them!
- Rigid ice climbing or dry-tooling boots
- 2 technical ice axes (hammers only; with ergonomic handles; no straps)
- Semi-automatic or automatic ice climbing crampons
- Climbing helmet
- 1 belay device (Reverso, ATC, etc.)